It is kind of funny how things evolve sometimes in the Mountain Biking world. I was searching through Twitter the other day and looking at different Mountain Biker’s Twitter and Facebook pages and came across the Prairie Girls Racing Twitter page at PGR Twitter page. The PGR is an Alberta-based cross-country, enduro and downhill mountain biking race team that supports and promotes women in competitive mountain sport. Their Twitter page was really interesting and I had just finished talking to David over at Dirty Sixer Bikes, in episode 3 of our podcast, about how amazing the riding is up in Canada so I was intrigued. I was in the process of scouting out a new person or group to interview for the Monterey Mountain Bike Podcast and I immediately knew that this group was an amazing find . I started digging a bit more on PGR’s Facebook page and website and was really blown away by how organized and classy the group was. They put out an extremely well written monthly newsletter that can be found at PGR newsletter. They also host cycling classes and youth events and find time on top of all of this to have personal gatherings among the team.
Today I had the opportunity to sit down with Deanne Coish Co-Managing Director/ Co-founder, and Nicole Barby XC Director with the PGR and discuss the organization and the trails and parks that they love to ride. One thing that I observed from the first second that I stepped in to the PGR’s world was the sure footed confidence that they project in everything that they do. I congratulate this team for setting the bar so high for other teams to emulate in the future.
List of Links to information from the show:
- Prairie Girls Racing Website
- PGR Newsletters
- PGR Shop – Great gear
- Trailforks – Detailed info on trail names and maps
- Western Cycle
- Panorama Resort
List of Links to the trails and riding areas:
Mill Creek Edmonton 53.519338, -113.473841
- Park at the Mill Creek Pool upper parking lot 81 Ave 93 Street
- Mill Creek Single Track http://www.trailforks.com/trails/millcreek-single-track/
- The Trap http://www.trailforks.com/trails/the-trap/
Caddy Track, Happy Ending, Andres Trail Edmonton : 53.548944, -113.463702
- Heading east from Riverside golf course – At the top of the hill just before the footbridge on the left hand side. Parking available on the street. http://goo.gl/IaPAoR
- Or park at the Mutart Conservatory and ride for a couple of hours http://goo.gl/FnTXz0
- Caddy Track http://www.trailforks.com/trails/caddytrack-17761/
- Happy Ending http://www.trailforks.com/trails/happy-ending/
- Andres Trail http://www.trailforks.com/trails/andre-s-trail-17759/
Bragg Creek near Calgary 50.873289, -114.723139
- Jean Guy Parking at the Ings Mine.Base of Moose Mtn Road. http://www.trailforks.com/trails/jean-guy-on-the-rocks-5543/
- T-Dub http://www.trailforks.com/trails/tdub/
- Family Guy (easy fun trail) h ttp://www.trailforks.com/trails/family-guy/
Panorama Mountain Resort British Columbia 50.459966, -116.238359
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
If you liked hearing about the Prairie Girls Racing Team and the trails and parks that they love to ride in the Edmonton, Canada and want to be part of the conversation, leave me a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Monterey Mountain Bike Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They help us with the ranking of the show and allow our show to be seen by a larger audience.
And finally, we are always looking for Mountain bikers around the world that want to tell their stories. Send an email to Markbolding220@yahoo.com and I will respond to set up an interview. Podcasting is really fun and we can set up an audio interview over Skype on yo
ur computer. Give it a try, I promise you’ll love it.